T-shirt 2

After the heady success of making a T-shirt that I actually want to wear, I decided to have another go using another piece from the stash.

While making t-shirt 1, I added the adjustments to the pattern as I went along so I was able to cut t-shirt 2 with the knowledge that it was going to more or less fit. What a treat that is!

I did the shoulder seams, stabilizing with scraps of the same fabric cut on the straight grain, as per my inspiration shirt. (I hate the idea of having to buy all kinds of notions for a project. I particularly hate the idea of buying plastic for the purpose.) I stalled until I could have a look at the neckline tutorial again. I only had to put the binding in once this time, although I did have to go back to remove a pucker. It was a snug fit over my head, but close enough. Now I think I may actually prefer it this way – I suspect it’ll help prevent the neckline from stretching out of shape.

I topstitched the neckline with the double needle, which seemed to work rather well. Then in a (for me) fit of productivity, I sewed the side seams (leaving a little extra room at the  hip to try to address a fit issue at the back waist), trimmed the seam allowances, pressed the hem and cuffs, and sewed them up. Bang – wearable – just like that! (Yes, for me a week is “just like that”.)

black t-shirt

I get wrinkles across the small of my back. My thought is that the waist could be taken in and the hip let out, both on the back piece. Not sure.

I’m sure I’ll make more of these. I have one more piece of fabric in the stash to get through before I’ll permit myself to buy anything else. The neckline takes a bit of finessing and while not difficult, is just tricky enough to make me think twice about getting out my scissors right this moment.

Finally! Free of the shackles of the callous t-shirt overlords!

stash: -1.5m

Advertisements

About Zena

I sew sometimes.
This entry was posted in process, stash, wearable and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to T-shirt 2

  1. Big in Japan says:

    Congratulations! Looks like you may have found a TNT for the elusive, highly coveted, good fitting T-shirt. I’m always amazed at how long they take to make too. I tell myself it’s because I don’t have a serger, but who am I kidding, if I was serging, it would take even longer because I’d be likely to serge and cut off something I actually needed.

  2. Marie-Christine says:

    Using selvage for stabilizer is a fine technique… in silk, or some very lightweight wovens. In knits, it’s way too bulky. Narrow clear polyurethane elastic is a much better weight and the right degree of stretch so you don’t end up with weird bunching along your shoulderline. Or at least use a strip of extremely lightweight knit cut on the cross-grain. I don’t see much improvement on buying tissue-thin knit over polyurethane, environmentally speaking, but your mileage may vary :-).

    • Zena says:

      As I mentioned, I chose to stabilize with self-fabric on the basis of my inspiration RTW T-shirt that did the same thing. (It’s not selvage, as this knit was in a tube and there isn’t a selvage.) Yes, it’s a little on the bulky side but it doesn’t bother me at all.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s