mending and altering

Much of the sewing related work I do is mending with a little altering, and the odd bit of finishing thrown in (MAF). Not necessarily sexy, but it explains why I may feel like I’m spending time sewing but that I have little to show for it. I also subscribe to the “make do and mend” approach. If something needs mending, it always comes out of the rotation until it’s fixed. So by mending (usually a brief process), I get another garment to wear – much more efficient than making a new one from scratch!

So, what have I done lately?

The mending and altering pile.

1. Gold silk pantaloons. After a couple of wears I concluded that they’re just too long. They were dragging on the ground, getting dirty and getting stepped on. I put in a tuck as low as I could (just above the slit) using a 4/8″ SA, which took out 1″. Doesn’t seem like a lot, especially because the leg is tightly controlled at the ankle, but it makes a big difference. I wouldn’t want to take out any more. (The ankle closure – hook and thread eye – still needs revision as the cuff pivots on the closure point. Looks like I need 2 closures per, and will likely swap the hook and eye out for snaps. But not today.)

2. Blue long-sleeve T. One of my favourites. Had worn a hole in the sleeve at the cuff, that had been Fraychecked once already. Fraychecked it again, then stitched closed by hand as it was now too big to leave alone.

3. T. My husband’s favourite. A tiny hole developed on the back shoulder (not near a seam). I had Fraychecked it once already immediately prior to the last wash, but that wasn’t enough and it grew a little in the wash and subsequent wear. I stitched it together then added a little more Fraycheck. A stitch, in time, saves nine, and this shirt will get worn until it’s unwearable.

4. Jeans. Starting to wear at the crease at top of thigh. This is highly unusual – my jeans usually start to go at the bum. It may have something to do with the bit of whiskering at the thigh, which I’ve never had before. I’ve already patched these up a little already in the same place so it was more of the same: glue structural patch to wrong side, let dry, mend from right side using matching thread on top and the long (3-stitch) zigzag, with a short stitch length.

5. Green cargo trousers/pants. The fabric of these is very thin – too light to be considered proper bottom-weight. I have already patched them numerous times, using the same complementary blue and green plaid each time. The plaid isn’t particularly colourfast so you can tell older patches from newer. This most recent patch, number 5(!), is the last, as it’s just getting silly now. Glue structural patch to wrong side, let dry, stitch around the edges of the patch, mend using 3-stitch zigzag, cut covering patch and fold raw edges under, tack raw edges in place with a dot of glue, glue patch to right side, edgestitch in place.

I used white school glue on all of these. Now that I’ve found my gluestick, that may see some use too. The glue seems to wash out just fine, even though it’s not specifically made for the purpose to which I put it.

6. (not shown) Underwear. A typical mending job – a little hole that formed right above the horizontal crotch seam at the front. Fraycheck, then stitch by hand to the seam to close.

Advertisements

About Zena

I sew sometimes.
This entry was posted in MAF and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to mending and altering

  1. Pingback: 2 Oct 2011 MAF | Blood, Sweatshop & Tears

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s